A HISTORICAL WALK ROUND COTTINGLEY
START Cottingley Town Hall, Main Street - Town Hall Heritage Room displays will be open 10am Saturdays to 12 noon July 21st to end of September
BUSES 615, 675, 678 and 680
TRAIN Nearest Station Bingley 2 miles
PARKING Street parking available on Main Street
DISTANCE Approximately 4 miles. Some hills, mainly on good roads and tracks but strong
shoes/boots recommended. Please keep to marked footpaths where they cross private land.
led by a local historian - Saturdays 2018 12th May, 2nd June, 7th July, 4th August, 1st September
Cottingley Town Hall. Built in 1864 as a non-denominational chapel, school and community centre. Built by the people of Cottingley on land provided by Joseph Hollings of Cottingley
(for a schoolroom) and William Busfeild Ferrand of Harden for a Hall on Town Hill Street from which the name Town Hall was derived. Was originally known as the Protestant Hall.
Walk up hill on Main Street with, on the left,
Quebec Cottages. The origin of the name is unknown. Tanning was a cottage industry on this location.
Lynwood Terrace, one house was the home of Elsie Wright whose photograph of the fairies in her garden spoofed Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!
With, on the right at the top of the rise,
Manor Farm. The house was is dated 1666, partially rebuilt in 1782 when the barn was added. A double cross of the Knights Templar initialled and dated is on the house.
Continue straight ahead to the end of Marchcote Lane and up the hill on the left can be seen:-
Stock-a-Close Farm. The house and barn are mid-17th century, again with the Knights Templar cross.
Turn right and along Woodside Crescent, turn left and right along Woodside Avenue and go along the farm track between nos. 16 and 14 on the left which leads to:-
March Cote Farm. Late 17th century with 18th century and recent additions. Millstones were quarried from the site. The boulder walls in nearby fields are possibly of Iron Age origin.
Go through the farmyard and keep straight ahead up the footpath through a garden area to a stile, cross the field to another stile leading into the wood and follow the marked path through to a further field with a path which leads to:-
Lee Lane, follows the line of the Roman Road from Bradford to Elslack fort.
Turn right and keep straight ahead, past the road junction, to a stile on the right leading at right angles across the field, through a walled path and across a further field to a stile into the wood. Go downhill through the wood on a rough track to a stile into a field, cross to a stile leading to a marked path across the golf course to a bridge across Harden Beck:-
Beckfoot Mill Bridge with Beckfoot Mill. The footbridge is mid 19th century and was built to serve the mill on the left. The Mill, and the Mill Master/Managers house are mid-19th century and are now residential accommodation.
Turn right along the lane, Beckfoot Lane, to a ford, the farmhouse on the right is:-
Beckfoot Farm. Dated TB 1617 with mid 17th century additions. Now converted to three houses. Note the different lantern finials associated with the Knights Templar on Templar Cottage eaves and the old building opposite, the �Piggeries�, formerly a chapel with a barely visible inscription on a door lintel.
Beckfoot Packhorse Bridge and ford. The Bridge was built in 1723 for 10 pounds which included the maintenance for seven years!
On leaving the buildings can be seen on the right:-
Site of Limestone Boulder Pits, the limestone was deposited from higher up the dale by the Aire Valley Glacier.
Continue the walk East along Beckfoot Lane, the former packhorse road from Bradford to Bingley, to reach Cottingley Bridge and the main road. On the right is:-
Cottingley Bridge House. Early-mid 18th century with a 7-bay symmetrical facade.
And a little way along the road are:-
Bridge Cottages, site of one of several tanneries. Tanning, along with coal mining were major industries in the village.
With, across the road,
Tan House Farmhouse. Late 17th century with later alterations.
Continue along the pavement for about 250 yards, to find a terrace of cottages set above the road on the right:-
New Row, built to house mill workers.
And a little further along is:-
Cottingley Mill, much rebuilt, and site of Toll Bar (demolished in 1913 for road widening). The mill was a tannery before conversion into a worsted mill and was the major employer in the village.
And a little way up Bradford Old Road, on the left are the
Remains of an Archway which led to the drive to former Cottingley Hall. The village well was located opposite the archway.
Return to the main Bradford road, after about 150 yards, and set back on the left, is:-
The Bankfield which was built in 1848 by William Murgatroyd, Mayor of Bradford, in Gothic style. Now a hotel with modern additions. The lodge was demolished for road widening.
And on the right, set further back from the new road junction, is:-
Cottingley Hall with lodge. Built at the same time as Cottingley Manor in the 1930s by William Briggs for his son. Now a private nursing home.
Return to Bradford Old Road and turn left up Bradford New Road and on the left, and more visible from the modern road:-
Cottingley Manor. Built at the same time as Cottingley Hall as his private residence for William Briggs. Now, with modern additions, a fitness centre.
Continue up the hill past Manor Road Junction to meet Hollings Street on the right:-
At lower end of Hollings Street are the Villas, cottages which were provided for staff at a former Cottingley House (later called Hall) which occupied a site across the main road. On the opposite side of the road is a barn (now occupied by a tile company) all that remains of The Grange which was demolished to make way for shops.
Continuing up the road to see the Sun Inn:-
Sun Inn, adjacent to the site of earlier Old Sun Inn with some remains of the former inn building on the right of the filling station. This was on the packhorse road to Bradford from Bingley over Cottingley Moor and was where courts were held.
Turn right and enter Main Street where there is
Beckside Fisheries, built in the 1930s. The modern shops opposite, built on the site of The Grange, bear the cross of the Knights Templar from that house.
Return to the start of the walk.